Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kauai, Whales

I had no idea Kauai was going to be so awesome, I took just over 2,800 photos during our vacation. One of the things I was most excited about, was the new underwater housing I got for our Canon G10. It proved to be well worth the money. Catching a photo of a whale in action, while being thrown around by the sea is no easy feet, especially if you want that photo to be in focus! It was a lot harder than I thought.


D700, f/7.1, 1/500 sec, ISO 200, 270mm
This was a male whale attempting to get the attention of nearby female.


D700, f/7.1, 1/800 sec, ISO 200, 270mm
Here a calf partially breaches just after her mother, to bad I missed the mom, she came right out of the water!


G10, f/2.8, 1/60 sec, ISO 80, 6.1mm
It may not look like much, but this is the mother and calf that swam right under our boat. By the time I swithed cameras, and pushed my little G10 under the water for some luck shots, we had drifted farther away. According to my camera, this whale was 70 yards away. I had no idea what to do, I just pointed it in the general direction, and hoped for the best.

2 comments:

  1. The top photo is Nat Geo worthy! WHAT A SHOT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you crop the tail picture or were you zoomed in that close?

    ReplyDelete